Is there anything more comforting than a big bowl of cheesy pasta? I don't think so. We've got a bit of a routine in our house and this mac and cheese is served at least once a week. Loved by the vegans and non- vegans alike it can be pimped out with toppings (I love BBQ Sauce on mine) or enjoyed on it's own. This is a basic recipe you've gotta have in your staples.
I've recently perfected this recipe with some smoky-spicy paprika but if you're not a spicy fan you can just leave that bit out! Also feel free to edit any of the amounts and taste as you go.
- Plain Flour (15g Per person)
- Vegan Butter (15g per person)
- Soy Milk
- Vegan Cheese (optional, about a handful and more to top)
- Nutritional Yeast (2 Tbsp)
- Onion Powder (1 Tsp)
-Garlic Powder (1 Tsp)
- Smoked Paprika (1 Tsp)
-Create your roux by...
- Measure out butter and melt in saucepan over a low heat
- Add your flour and whisk into butter allow this to cook for a few seconds
- Slowly add in the soy milk, a little at a time and whisk the flour and butter mixture into it. Each time you do this it will thicken up, continue to add the milk until the flour and butter mixture is fully combined into the milk. You will have a thick saucy consistency.
- At this point you can add the rest of the ingredients including some of the vegan cheese if you're choosing to use it.
- Make sure to taste and add salt as required, this is a rich flavourful sauce so you gotta get it seasoned right!
- Cook your chosen pasta (it doesn't even really need to be macaroni) in salted water until it's al-dente and drain
- Add cheese sauce to pasta and mix well
- Top with cheese if you're using it
- Scoop everything into a nice big dish and pop in the oven for 15 mins
-Once it comes out the cheese should be melty and you'll have a lovely big bowl of cheesy goodness